Monday, February 10, 2014

Saltine Toffee Candy


"Oh...my....GOSH!  These are soooo gooooood!!!"  

Yup! That pretty much sums up what everybody says after they've tried this saltine toffee candy.  Ever since I've rediscovered how insanely delicious this is, I can't stop making it.  No seriously, I've been making this toffee every week for the past month now.  I've brought it to playdates, given it to my kids' teachers... Heck!  I even brought a big box to my dentist!  Yeah.  I'm not too sure if that was a great idea though.  I mean, it's like bringing all the food from the state fair to your doctor.  Oh well.  But I think her staff really loved it and I'm pretty sure they brushed and flossed afterwards. 


I learned how to make this wonderful saltine toffee back in college.  I had a study session to go to and I wanted to bring something for me and my friends to munch on while we cram for our test.  I must've seen it on TV (I'm sure it was Paula Deen) or found it in a magazine and thought it was too good to pass up.  It was super super quick and easy to make and it didn't require a lot of ingredients.  It was perfect for a cash-strapped student like me, because I could afford to make a huge amount of toffee in no time flat and they tasted AWESOME!

I think it's a no-brainer...I'll be making these for Valentine's Day :-) 

UPDATE (2/11/14): Cate from Chez Catey Lou came up with the brilliant idea of calling these Valentine's Day Crack.  She made some saltine toffee during the holidays but she called them Christmas Crack.  So when she saw this post, she called them Valentine's Day Crack and I just loved it! These are soooo addictive, it's really the perfect name for them. Thanks Cate! 

Saltine Toffee Candy (aka Valentine's Day Crack)
Adapted from About.com
Makes 48 toffee pieces
Allergy Note: contains wheat and dairy ingredients

48 saltine crackers (about 1 1/2 sleeves, enough to cover one baking sheet)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1-2 tsp. sea salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
colorful sprinkles


Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.  Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper or aluminum foil then lightly spray with nonstick spray.


In a small saucepan, place butter and brown sugar.  Cook over medium heat until it reaches a rolling boil then carefully remove from stovetop and pour over the layer of saltine crackers. Use a offset spatula or spoon to spread the toffee mixture over all the saltines.


Bake at 350F degrees for 5 minutes or until the toffee mixture is bubbly.  Remove from oven and sprinkle sea salt over the saltine toffee.


While the saltine toffee is still warm, sprinkle semi-sweet chocolate chips over them and wait for a minute or two.


Using an offset spatula or back of a spoon, spread the softened chocolate evenly over the saltine toffee.


Sprinkle colorful sprinkles all over the chocolate layer.


Place the baking sheet of saltine toffee in the refrigerator and allow to chill for about 15-30 minutes until the chocolate has set.  Break apart into smaller pieces.  I try to break them into the same saltine square shapes because I think it looks pretty, but that's just me.  You can keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.

2 comments:

dina said...

this is addictive. i've made something like it before.

Only Human said...

"You can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week."

Yeah, like it's really going to remain uneaten for an week! Haha!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...