Monday, January 25, 2016

Fudgy Triple Chocolate Cookies


"Do what you love."

Four little words that carry a powerful message.  Now, I know this sounds like one of those inspirational quotes you've seen on Pinterest, and I'm pretty sure that's where I found it or somewhere on Instagram or Facebook.  Either way, it really resonated with me and it got me thinking of what those words meant to me...


I'm the type of person who needs to stay productive or else I'll feel like I'm gonna wither away.  Doing nothing does nothing for me.  If anything, it actually makes me want to do something even more.  But I noticed that I tend to get too caught up in doing things for everyone else that I forget to take a moment to do something for me.  So this year, I want to make a conscious effort to do at least one thing that I love each day.  It could be something as simple as watching my favorite movie or going out and having lunch with friends.  Just one thing each day to nurture that part of my soul because I do tend to neglect it.  Sad but true.


So what does that have to do with cookies?  Well, I was thinking about what to make for my first post of the New Year.  I usually try to go with something healthy because that's what you're supposed to be doing around this time, which is a good thing but I'm just not feeling it.  I wanna make something that I love!  And I loooovvvve chocolate!  Don't get me wrong.  I have been eating healthier nowadays and even learned to enjoy working out (I know. Weird, right?)  It's just that sometimes, ugh, I just gotta have a chocolate chip cookie.  And you know what?  It's okay!  Have one or two...just not a dozen.  Not that I know of anyone who would do that.  Who does that?  Surely not me!  Yeah.  Definitely not me.


So anyway,  I decided I'm just gonna do what I love and bake something chocolatey.  I absolutely love my fudgy egg-free brownies and I wondered if I could make a cookie version of it.  So I took my recipe, tweaked a few ingredients here and there, then I added even more chocolate chips and voila!  These fudgy triple chocolate cookies were born!


These cookies have everything that I love about my beloved brownies and even more! There's a nice crispy edge that reminds me of those corner pieces that everybody fights over.  And the center is sooo fudgy and filled with chunks of chocolate, it puts me in chocolate heaven with just one big bite.

I'm definitely liking this "Do what you love" thing.  I think it's gonna be a good year :-)

Fudgy Triple Chocolate Cookies 
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Allergy Note: contains wheat and dairy ingredients 

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup water

1/2 cup butter or allowed margarine/buttery spread, room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbs. honey
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1 cup milk or white chocolate chips*

* for an allergy-friendly substitute, you can try Enjoy Life chocolate chips or Chocolate Dream baking chips 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper. 


In a heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the 1/3 cup of flour and 1 cup of water. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until mixture has thickened.  Remove from heat and carefully
 stir in butter, oil, cocoa powder and instant espresso powder.  Mix until smooth and allow to cool.


Transfer the cooled flour/butter mixture into a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract and honey until blended. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the batter until combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.  


Using a cookie scoop, portion out the dough about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.  Let them cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before serving.  

1 comment:

Edwina said...

These cookies look so decadent. I adore fudgy chocolate cookies so I'm going to make these. It's just the recipe I need! Thanks.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...