Sunday, February 28, 2016

Egg-free and Dairy-free Corn Muffins




My sister and her 2-year-old daughter came to San Diego for a short visit last week.  My family and I were so super excited!  It's been a year since we last saw them and a lot has changed.  My sweet little niece is not a baby anymore (insert sad face).  She's now a bouncy, energetic toddler who talks in full sentences!  Awwwww...and she has the most adorably cute voice - she kinda sounds like Boo from Monsters, Inc.  Oh I can't stand it!  Too much cuteness!


But as much as I wanted to pick her up and squeeze her, I didn't wanna scare the poor girl.  I mean, I haven't seen her since she was a baby.  In her mind, I'm a total stranger.  So I thought maybe I'd win her over by making something that she loves.  My sister told me that she's obsessed with corn muffins at the moment, so I made a batch when they arrived.  When I offered her a muffin, she smiled shyly and took it. Then, she totally gobbled it up and asked for another. Yay! And now we're buddies :-) 


These corn muffins are perfectly spongy and lightly sweetened, you just might gobble one up and ask for another. Not only are they absolutely delicious, they're also egg-free and dairy-free!

Egg-free and Dairy-free Corn Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Allergy Note: contains wheat ingredients 

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tablespoon double-acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk, unsweetened and first pressing
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line a muffin pan with paper liners.  In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a smaller bowl, use an electric mixer to mix together coconut milk, sugar and honey.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together on low speed until combined.  Using a spoon or a large scoop, portion out the muffin batter into prepared pan, filling each paper liner right up to the top.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.  Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...