Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Egg-Free Snickerdoodles

Every time my family and I go to Disneyland, we make it a point to go to Snow White's Wishing Well.  We went there on our first visit and now it's become sort of a tradition.  We all close our eyes, make a wish and drop our coins into the well.  This year, Hubby smiled at me and whispered, "I think I know what you've been wishing for...because I've been wishing for the same thing too..." 

Whoa...has he been reading my mind?  I have been making the same wish every year but I didn't know he's been doing the same thing too!  My eyes welled up with tears.  Truth is, I don't think we're any different from every parent who has children with food allergies.  Our biggest wish is for our kids to outgrow them and live full and healthy lives without worrying if something they eat will send them straight to the emergency room.  It's a scary thing to think about everyday but we try to live our lives as normal as possible and hope and pray that things will improve. 


Last month, we found out that our 6-year-old can finally tolerate dairy.  Baked dairy to be exact.  In the past, he'd break out in itchy red bumps if he accidentally eats or touches something that contained dairy.  But this time, he took a few bites of a buttery shortbread cookie and had no reaction.  Of course, I watched him like a hawk for hours afterwards and made sure the Benadryl was ready just in case.  But there was no need for it.  Eventually, he ate the entire cookie and he was completely fine.  I know this might sound corny, but seeing him enjoy a cookie that he used to be allergic to was like watching a wish come true. 

Now this doesn't mean he can start eating ALL types of dairy already.  We're fully aware that reintroducing any type of food is a slow process and we're treading very carefully.  We're trying one thing at a time and watching for any immediate or delayed reactions.  So far, he's okay with butter, but only when it's baked into something.  He's still allergic to eggs, and so is his older brother (who's also allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish), but this is one less food allergy we have to worry about.  That might not seem like a lot, but trust me, it makes a huge difference in what my kids can and can't eat, especially when I make them desserts. 


So I went back and searched through my cookbooks and found a recipe that I could remake into an egg-free version. These snickerdoodles are sooo perfect for Fall season.  As you're baking these cookies, the warm and cozy scent of cinnamon will waft through the air and instantly put you in a happy mood.  They bake up light and crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.  I love making these cookies with the kids (and of course, they love devouring them). And the best part is they're so quick and easy to make.

Egg-Free Snickerdoodles 
(Adapted from Joy of Cooking)
Makes 18 to 20 cookies
Allergy Note: contains wheat and dairy ingredients*

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter,* softened to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract

for coating: 
2 Tbs. granulated sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

*for vegan/non-dairy substitutions: you can use vegetable shortening or allowed margarine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till fluffy.  Add in applesauce and vanilla extract; mix until combined.  Slowly add in dry ingredients.  In a small bowl, combine the coating ingredients: sugar and ground cinnamon.  Scoop out about 2 Tbs. of cookie dough (you can use a cookie scoop) and drop it into the cinnamon/sugar coating.  Gently roll it around until completely covered and then place on to a prepared cookie sheet.  Space the cookies about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges.  Allow to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post made me cry. I have been following your blog and using your recipes since my daughter was diagnosed with egg and peanut allergies almost six years ago. We took a trip Disney World last month and had to opportunity to eat a meal in Cinderella's Castle. During the meal, they give each child a Wishing Star and then have a little ceremony where the kids get to make a wish. My daughter with food allergies looked at me and said that she wished she didn't have allergies. It made me cry. It's so hard that in the most magical place and in the most special family moments that food allergies are the first thing on her mind. Our allergist is still hopeful that she'll grow out of her egg allergy by age 9. In the meantime, I am happy to have your blog to make amazing desserts. We're adding snickerdoodles to our list of holiday cookies. :)

Unknown said...

We made these on Thanksgiving for my egg allergic son and they were fantastic!!! My allergy friendly inclusive desserts are either hits or misses with the majority of my family (mostly misses) and this was a huge hit with my entire family. Thank you!!!

Heather said...

I don't know if I have commented here before, but I just wanted to say thank you.

I am one of those people who didn't outgrow some of her allergies (egg and oatmeal), and I am also one of those people who was born with a rolling pin in her hand. Loving to bake, but not having recipes that I could sample myself was frustrating to say the least. When I happened across your blog a couple of years ago I was beyond thrilled that you focused on egg free baking. I finally got to taste a pancake that wasn't disgusting!

Cheers to you for making the best out of a bad situation and helping the rest of us out in the process :)

Pallavi said...

Thank you. They came out very well. Very tasty.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...