Sunday, December 8, 2013

Vegan Banana Muffins


Can someone please explain to me how from Monday to Friday, I have to literally drag my kids out of bed to get ready for school BUT come Saturday morning, they're up at the crack of dawn?  I can hear them down the hall, dumping their Legos on the floor.  Oh what a lovely sound that is at six o'clock in the morning!  Maybe I can get them to take up a quieter activity...like sleeping-in.

Ahhhhhhhhhh...sleeping-in.  It's quite possibly one of my greatest pleasures in life.  I don't need a spa day or a weekend away to recharge...just a couple extra hours of sleep will do it.  Trust me, you do not want to be near me when I haven't had much sleep.  It's not pretty.  Poor Hubby had to learn this the hard way, so nowadays he's been ever-so-kind to take care of the kids in the morning so I can get some extra zzzzzzz's on the weekend.  Sweet!

And to show my appreciation for letting me sleep-in,  I made some vegan banana muffins!  This is another reincarnation of my Mom's Banana Cake.  I basically just omitted the eggs and replaced the milk with applesauce.  I did tweak a couple of other ingredients but they were very slight changes to my mom's original recipe.  The nice thing about these muffins is you can just pipe some frosting on top, add colorful sprinkles and voila...you've got cupcakes!

Vegan Banana Muffins
Makes about 24 muffins
Allergy Note: contains wheat ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups mashed bananas (approx. 4 medium-size bananas)
1-2 tsp. white or apple cider vinegar 
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup applesauce
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease two muffin pans with nonstick spray or line them with paper liners.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, vinegar, vegetable oil, applesauce and vanilla extract.  Add the dry ingredients; mix till combined.  Pour into prepared muffin pans, about 2/3 full.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry and clean.  Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Lisa K said...

I'd like to make an egg free banana bread that I can slice. Does your muffin recipe work well when cooked in a loaf pan?

Art of Dessert said...

Lisa- Yes, you can use this recipe to make banana bread. Just grease and flour the pan before pouring in the batter and it will take about 15-20 minutes longer to bake.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...