Monday, November 3, 2008

Muddy Buddies with Sunflower Seed Butter (aka Puppy Chow)

Muddy Buddies with Sunflower Seed Butter

On a recent trip to the grocery store, I found this lovely jar of sunflower seed butter, right next to the ubiquitous peanut butter. It was like manna from heaven! I can't even tell you how happy I was to serve up a sunflower seed butter and jelly sandwich to my little guy. And guess what? He liked it! I started running through my head all the wonderful things I could make with this delicious find. Oooh...the possibilities!


sunbutter

First, I tried to make sunflower butter cookies. Ummm, let's just say it needed a bit of fine-tuning, so back to the drawing board with that one. But one morning, I was fixing up a bowl of Rice Chex cereal and saw the recipe for muddy buddies on the box. I've later read in other sites that this is also called Puppy Chow.  Kinda funny 'cause it does look like it too. LOL I thought I'd give it a try. My son likes Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran so I tossed it in for good measure. Not bad, not bad at all. I might try adding a dash of cinnamon or tossing in some dried cherries next time. Mmmmm...good!

Update (2/9/09): I added pretzels and dried cherries in a recent batch of muddy buddies and it was deeelicious!

Update: Libby, from The Allergic Kid, is hosting "Thanks for 'Nothing' Thanksgiving Round Up" this year. It's a great opportunity to share recipes and ideas with others who have dietary restrictions like food allergies. I know how challenging it is to find delicious and 'safe' recipes, especially during the holidays, so I hope one of my recipes will find their way in your holiday table.

Muddy Buddies with Sunflower Seed Butter (aka Puppy Chow)
Allergy Note: contains dairy* and wheat ingredients

9 cups Corn Chex®, Rice Chex®, Wheat Chex® or Multi-Bran Chex® cereal (or combination)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips*
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
1/4 cup butter or allowed margarine*
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

For vegan alternative: Instead of regular chocolate chips, use Enjoy Life or Chocolate Dream chocolate chips.  Instead of butter or margarine, use Spectrum Organics coconut oil or shortening

1. Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
2. In a microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, sunflower seed butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
3. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.

Please note: I am not a paid endorser nor did I accept any freebies of the brands or products mentioned in this post.  I just love them and wanted to share them with you :-)

2 comments:

Speedbump Kitchen said...

I love Sunbutter! I just made the Muddy Buddys last week for my dairy/egg/peanut allergic kid and they were a hit, I just hadn't got around to posting it yet as I was working on a version of Chex Mix...got stuck on a fish-free substitute for Worcestershire.....arg.

Anonymous said...

Speedbump Kitchen
Worcestershire Sauce by Angostura is fish free.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...