Monday, November 10, 2008

Tutorial: How to Make a Fondant Frame

Frame

Whenever I'm shopping for new toys...errrr tools, I always have a hard time narrowing down which ones to get because I want to buy them all. To keep myself from going on a spending spree, I try to practice some restraint by getting one or two items each month (okay, maybe three). My most recent purchase is an FMM textured lace set . One of the lace patterns looked remarkably similar to the pattern on a picture frame I have. So I had an idea...I'm going to make a picture frame out of fondant!
Here are the tools I used:

Materials for fondant frame
- paintbrushes
- clear alcohol (i.e. lemon extract or vodka)
- paring knife(not shown)

First, roll the fondant to the desired thickness and use the cookie cutter to cut out a rectangle.
IMG_2468


Roll the remaining fondant to the same thickness. Press the FMM textured lace pattern onto the fondant.


IMG_2470


Turn over the FMM textured lace pattern and repeat this pattern all over.

IMG_2475

Use the pizza cutter to cut the fondant into strips.

IMG_2477

Place the strips around the rectangle, overlapping them at the corners.

IMG_2481

Use the paring knife to cut the overlapping strips at an angle. This will create the mitered edges for the picture frame.

IMG_2484


IMG_2488

The picture frame is finished now and ready to be painted.

fondant frame w/o gold

Brush the frame with gold luster dust.

fondant frame with antique gold luster dust

Mix some gold luster dust with clear alcohol to make gold "paint." Use a small paintbrush to write the message on the picture frame.

Fondant frame - finished

I got to try this technique on Dean's birthday cake last week. I think it looks nice with my favorite scroll design.

Dean's Birthday Cake

4 comments:

Anne said...

I admire your generosity in sharing your talent. you are gifted! The frame is simply beautiful...not only the frame but all your cakes as well :)

Anonymous said...

omg..
i wish those "toys" available in Indonesia..
eeerrr..

ira

Anonymous said...

What size tip did you use on this design? It is beautiful. I would love to try it on my next cake.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing..
You are talented :)

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...