Monday, July 13, 2015

Allergy-Friendly Chocolate-Covered Coconut Patties


This was supposed to be my ticket out of "Worst Wife Ever" jail.  I really thought I was gonna score major points when I made these.  I was soooo sure it would work!   Well, it did...ummm...sort of.


Okay, so here's what happened.  A week ago, Hubby hurt his back from bending down to pick up something off of the floor.  It was kinda bizarre.  I mean, here's a guy who's pretty active, runs and bikes on a regular basis, but then he throws his back out doing something so simple.  Initially, I was like, "Really? Sheesh! You couldn't have hurt yourself that bad?"  He can be quite the baby when he stubs his toe, so I didn't have much pity for him at first.  But after a day or two of watching him hobble around the house, I realized he wasn't kidding.  Wow! I guess he really did hurt himself pretty bad.  Oh yeah I also googled it.  Apparently these things happen all the time. Who knew?  Well, obviously not me. 


Once I realized how absolutely awful it was for me not to believe him, I had to make it up to him big time.  Hmmmm...what should I do?  Oh I know!  I can make him homemade Mounds bars!  He once said that that was his favorite candy bar growing up. Yes yes yes!  He would totally love that! Ooooooooh this is the best idea ever!  I can't wait for him to try them.  


So I searched around online and found some great recipes, but most of them use sweetened condensed milk.  I thought maybe I should try to figure out how to make it dairy-free so the kids can eat them too.  After a few days of tinkering around the kitchen, I finally made a batch that I was happy with.
  

Now it's time to see what he thinks.  You should've seen me sashaying towards him like a proud little kid.  I offered him a piece and as he took a bite, I waited eagerly for his reaction.

Me:"Sooo...What do you think?"

Hubby:"I like it."

Me:"Does it remind you of your favorite candy bar?"

Hubby:"Nope, but you're close."

Me:"Huh? But what do you mean?  Aw, I was kinda hoping you loved it." 

Hubby:"I do love it!  But this isn't an Almond Joy.  THAT is my favorite candy bar.  You should try to make that next time."

Grrrrrrrrrr...


So there you have it.  My sad little attempt at redeeming myself fell short by a nut.  Bummer.  Well, I guess I could make these again and add almonds or roasted pumpkin seeds to make them nut-free.  But that doesn't make me feel any better about forgetting what his favorite candy bar was.  I was very close though.  And they do taste like Mounds bars so I didn't completely miss the mark.  Right? 

Allergy-Friendly Chocolate-Covered Coconut Patties
Makes about 24 pieces

coconut patties:
1 14 oz. bag of flaked coconut
1 cup canned coconut cream*
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs. coconut oil
1/4 tsp. salt

chocolate coating:
1 10 oz. bag of non-dairy chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Brand mini chocolate chips)
1 tsp. coconut oil

*Coconut cream is thicker than coconut milk, which works better for making the coconut patties.  If you cannot find coconut cream, you can substitute by using just the creamy part of the coconut milk.  To do this, chill 1 to 2 cans of coconut milk overnight.  Turn over the cans and open to drain the clear liquid.  Scoop out the solidified portion that's left in the can and use it for the recipe.


To make the coconut patties: 
Place flaked coconut in a food processor.  Pulse until the flaked coconut is chopped into smaller pieces.  Combine flaked coconut, coconut cream, powdered sugar, coconut oil and salt in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until well combined.  Remove from heat and transfer into a bowl.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until it reaches a slightly firm consistency.  Scoop about a tablespoonful onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Gently flatten into patties and return to the fridge to chill for another 30 minutes or until firm.


To make the chocolate coating: 
In a double-boiler on low heat, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil; remove from heat.  Dip each pattie into the melted chocolate, quickly coat them on both sides and remove with a fork or dipping tool.  Gently shake off any extra chocolate and place them back on the baking sheet.  Return to the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes or until firm.


Store them in an airtight container. You can keep them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.


No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...