Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Crazy Delicious Rice Krispie Treats



My boys are home sick this week.  Poor babies.  They've been curled up in the couch with fevers and all they want to eat is Jell-O.  I feel so bad when they're not they're happy little selves.  And what's more, they're gonna miss out on all the fun activities at school tomorrow.  My little one even made cards for all his buddies.  Sad to say, but they won't be receiving them :-(


Earlier this week, I had planned on making Rice Krispie Treats for the kids to bring to school tomorrow, but since they got sick, I didn't think I should make them.  But at the last minute, I thought I'd make a small batch to cheer them up while they recuperate.  


was inspired to make these heart-shaped treats after seeing Zoe Bakes' version last week.  It's her Rice Krispie Treats interpretation of the compost cookie from Momofuku Milk Bar.  I never thought of making sweet and salty Rice Krispie Treats before but I'm so glad I stumble upon Zoe's idea.  They taste sooo incredibly good!  


The first time I made these, I added colorful sprinkles for my son's birthday.  They loved it so much I decided I was gonna make them again for Valentine's Day.  It reminded me so much of my crazy delicious egg-free cookies, which were also inspired by the Momofuku Milk Bar cookies.  So in keeping with that theme, I decided to call these my "crazy delicious rice krispie treats."  


I adjusted some of the ingredients to make them dairy-free for my 3 year old.  I didn't add chocolate chips this time because I didn't have any dairy-free ones on hand.  Instead, I added dried cranberries, which added a bit of tartness as well as sweetness to the rice krispie treats.


These rice krispie treats are not only perfect for Valentine's Day.  I think they're great for any occasion or make them just because they're so crazy delicious :-) 


Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!


Crazy Delicious Rice Krispie Treats
Makes about 18 heart shaped treats
Allergy Note: contains wheat ingredients 

3 Tbs. dairy-free margarine or butter-flavored shortening, plus extra for molding into hearts
10 oz. package marshmallows (about 40 regular marshmallows or 4 cups mini marshmallows)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/2 cup crushed potato chips
1/2 cup crushed Oreos
1/2 cup chopped pretzels
1/2 cup dried cranberries or dairy-free chocolate chips
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal

In a large microwave-safe bowl, add dairy-free margarine and marshmallows.  Heat on HIGH for 1 minute. Add in vanilla extract and salt. Stir until smooth.  Gently fold in potato chips, Oreos, pretzels, dried cranberries and Rice Krispies cereal.  

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Grease a heart shaped cookie cutter and your hands with dairy-free margarine or shortening. Place the cookie cutter onto the prepared cookie sheet.  Gently press some rice krispie treats into the cookie cutter.  Carefully lift up the cookie cutter while pressing down on the rice krispie treat.  Repeat this process until all the rice krispie mixture has been shaped into hearts.  Allow to them to set then transfer into treat bags or an airtight container.  

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...