Saturday, December 22, 2012

Peppermint Chocolate Shortbread Cookies


If you're looking for me for the next few days, I'll be in my kitchen...baking cookies and making truffles.  I kinda had a late start this year (read: procrastinate), so friends and family, if you're reading this, yes, I am sending you a box of goodies...soon (I hope). 


I tried to simplify things this year by making just two items for the gift boxes: truffles and cookies.  And yet, here I am trying to think of something else to add.  But no.  I'm gonna fight the urge to do that and stick to the plan.  Stick to the plan woman!  No matter how wonderful it would be to make this or that, I gotta preserve my sanity and maybe get a few extra hours of sleep this weekend.


Everyone LOVES my simple shortbread cookies, so this year I decided to dress them up for the holidays.  I melted some semisweet chocolate chips and crushed a few candy canes to make these peppermint chocolate shortbread cookies.  All you need to make these delectable cookies is butter, sugar, flour, salt, chocolate chips and candy canes.


These cookies are perfect for giving away as gifts or serving in a pretty platter at any holiday party.  I'm planning to serve these at our Christmas party with a nice cup of hot cocoa, loaded with mini marshmallows.  And I think I better set some aside for Santa too :-)
 

Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Peppermint Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Allergy note: contains wheat and dairy ingredients*

2 cups butter (4 sticks), softened to room temperature*
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
1  tsp. salt

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4-5 regular candy canes, crushed into small pieces

*You can use dairy-free margarines or shortening instead butter.  I've used Earth Balance spread with great results.  For the melting chocolate, I've used Enjoy Life and Chocolate Dream brands. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till smooth. Add flour and salt; mix until combined. Using a small cookie scoop, place the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.  Gently press down on each cookie to flatten them then bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool completely.

In a small bowl, melt chocolate chips in either the microwave (make sure to use a microwave safe bowl) or a double boiler.  For the microwave method, heat the chocolate chips only 15-30 seconds at a time, stirring the chocolate and then returning to the microwave until it is completely melted. For the double boiler method, make sure not to boil the water and do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water.

Dip each cookie in the melted chocolate then sprinkle with some crushed candy canes.  Allow the chocolate to set (you can speed this up by placing the cookies in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes).  Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Please note: I am not a paid endorser nor did I accept any freebies of the brands or products mentioned in this post. These are products I personally use and wanted to share them with you :-)

3 comments:

Theresa said...

These look so good! I just baked several dozens of cookies but I am thinking of making these for our Christmas party at church tomorrow ;)

Tracy {pale yellow} said...

I love the melted chocolate and candy canes on top, perfect holiday cookie!

Mary Chu said...

These look amazing! I think I will make some to give away too. Thanks for sharing.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...