Friday, December 23, 2011

Graham Cracker Gingerbread House with Marshmallow Icing

IMG_2002

I was picking up my son from school last week and he was admiring all the gingerbread houses that the 4th and 5th graders were carrying home.

Son: "Wow! Mom, did they bake ALL those gingerbread houses at school today?"
Me: "No honey, I think those are made out of graham crackers."
Son: "Ooooooooh! Can we make gingerbread houses out of graham crackers too?"
Me: "Sure."

IMG_8765
The boys' gingerbread house last year

Now, normally we would be making gingerbread houses out of the egg-free gingerbread, but since we already made ornaments out of gingerbread (which have been disappearing from my tree) and the boys can eat graham crackers, it would be a nice change (and less work for me) to use them this year.

380988_210935152319411_195107973902129_458933_1889554295_n
My 2 year old thinks the tree is his own cookie buffet

And to make my life A LOT easier, I figured out a simple egg-free and dairy-free alternative to attaching the house together: melted marshmallows! It works for rice krispie treats so it should work for a graham cracker gingerbread house.

photo(24)

I used Golden Grahams cereal for the roof shingles

I melted a bag of marshmallows (about 40 large ones or 4 cups of the miniature) with 1 tablespoon of shortening in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. After stirring it till smooth, I spread some of the melted marshmallow onto cardboard cake circles.  We applied some melted marshmallow to the sides of the graham crackers and attached them together.  It worked!

gingerbread roof
Nerds, Mike n Ikes and Skittles to decorate the front of the house

We had a bunch of candy left over from Halloween (yeah, can you believe that?) so we used them up to decorate our houses. We also got some extra peppermint candies for the fence and Enjoy Life Boom Choco Boom bars for the doors.

IMG_1989
IMG_1994 
Corn Chex windows and Twizzlers, Laffy Taffy and Mike n Ikes for the fence.

One note about cutting the triangle pieces for the roof: use a serrated knife and go only one direction.  Going back and forth (in a sawing motion), will break the graham cracker.  As you can see with the picture below, we had quite a few broken pieces. It's okay though, we'll make S'mores Marshmallows out of them :-)

photo(22)

Yup, that's a big jar of candy alright

The only problem with marshmallow icing is it sticks to EVERYTHING! And I had to stick the bowl of marshmallows back in the microwave a few times to melt it again because it firmed up in the bowl.

photo(23)

I just love seeing my kids enjoy this family tradition.

photo(21)

Check out the boys' gingerbread houses this year!

photo(29)

And here's my niece's pink gingerbread house.

photo(25)

This is the second house my oldest son made. It even has a slide on the side :-)

photo(26)

My brother really got into building his gingerbread house. He made this scale model of our old house. Wow!

photo(27)

As you can see, we all had fun making these gingerbread houses. We even had a competition this weekend to see who made the best one. We let my one-year old niece pick her favorite but she was more interested in eating the graham crackers than picking a winner so we decided we all won :-)

Happy Holidays!

5 comments:

whitneymillermc said...

My sister had her college friends over last year and they made gingerbread houses out of graham crackers. They were so cute and simple to make

Elizabeth said...

This is adorable! I was going to make a gingerbread house this year but I never got to it.

Unknown said...

I love this! We will be trying this out in the future. I can't wait to try making the gingerbread house from scratch. Thanks for the ideas.

Shannon said...

This idea is so cute! Little graham cracker cottages are on my to do list for next year!

Diana Rose Dedase said...

This is incredible!I love this idea and I want to try it:)

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...