Thursday, March 28, 2013

Banana Molasses Muffins (Vegan)



I've been trying my best to eat healthy lately ("trying" is the operative word).  It's sooo hard when I have such a terrible sweet tooth.  I mean, I try to follow what Hubby does and eat more fresh fruit and less chocolate.  We even have a bowl of clementines and bananas sitting on the kitchen counter so that whenever I have a craving for something sweet, I snack on some fruit instead.  It hasn't been easy BUT I'm making small changes here and there.  I still want chocolate but I've cut down my daily consumption just a teeny tiny bit.  Hey, some progress is better than no progress, right?  


Recently I read about the health benefits of blackstrap molasses so I tried adding it to my morning coffee instead of sugar.  Blackstrap molasses is a lot darker and thicker than the molasses I typically use for baking.  It kinda looks like chocolate syrup, but it definitely doesn't taste like it.  It has a richer and more robust flavor.  But you know what?  I liked it!  Plus it's nice to know that it's also good for me.  


Since I've been buying a lot of bananas lately, eventually some of them will be too overripe for me to peel and eat.  So of course what do I do?  I bake with them.  These banana molasses muffins are sort of a reincarnation of my mom's banana cake. I fiddled around with some of the ingredients and added some blackstrap molasses for a little healthy boost.  They're so moist and delicious and they go so perfect with my morning cup of coffee :-) 

Banana Molasses Muffins
Makes 24 muffins
Allergy Note: contains wheat ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium sized bananas)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup applesauce
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon juice 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour two muffin pans or use paper liners. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine bananas, sugar, applesauce, oil, molasses, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Slowly stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Mix until blended.  Pour about 2/3 full into prepared muffin pans. 

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry and clean.  Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. 

2 comments:

Tracy {pale yellow} said...

I love a great muffin recipe, especially a vegan one!

myrtle said...

WoW! That makes me drool right now.=D

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...