Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Avocado Ice Cream

Avodaco Ice Cream 
Photo Credit: Kristen Somera

Just when I was starting to enjoy the cool weather, it heats up again! Well, I guess it's not too late for me to share another one of my favorite frozen treats. This is my take on my grandma's avocado ice cream.  It's so rich and creamy and the best part is you don't need an ice cream maker to make it :-)

Avocado Ice Cream
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
Allergy information: contains dairy

1 1/2 cup ripe California avocados (about 2)
1 tsp. lemon juice
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbs granulated sugar

In a blender or food processor, puree avocados and lemon juice till smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk and milk. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream and sugar to soft peaks. Pour in the avocado mixture and mix till combined. Transfer into a airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours.

6 comments:

turmericnspice said...

love the color :)

Ella said...

I have always been intrigued by the combo of the green fruit in one of my favorite desserts ;D

Joan said...

this color looks difficult to make it!

Nisha said...

I had tried avocado ice cream from another recipe couple of months back. It used milk powder too. Freezing 6 hours, then churning it again, then freezing again (since I don't have ice cream maker). In the end neither did the ice cream look good nor taste good!

Yours is such a pretty color & a bit different recipe. Next time I get avocados, I'll give it a try halving the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Lory said...

Been wanting to be wheat-free (and grain-free) lately, and there are lots of desserts that I have to either re-do or completely forget about. I also try to minimize sugars now. But once in a while I indulge. That's what made me look up your wheat-free recipes here. And in trying to come up with more natural (less processed) ingredients, I asked hubby to give me a small ice cream maker so I can make my healthier versions of ice cream. I am going to try this one, but maybe I will use maple syrup or honey instead of condensed milk. I am thinking maybe the whipped cream makes it not necessary to use the ice cream maker? Thanks for the recipe!

Candy said...

Just made this yesterday. It was really good!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...