Sunday, September 4, 2011

Allergy-friendly Chocolate Banana Pops (Vegan)

Frozen Banana Pop

Are you looking for an allergy-friendly frozen treat to beat the heat?  Try these chocolate banana pops.  My kids LOVE them!  I used Enjoy Life chocolate mega chunks and Spectrum organics shortening for the coating.  For an added crunch, I rolled them in crispy brown rice cereal.  You can even get the kids involved in making them.

Another variation that I've tried is to spread a thin layer of sunflower seed butter (Sunbutter and Trader Joe's are brands that I like) all over the banana pops and then freezing them.  Then I covered them with the chocolate coating and rolled them in crispy rice cereal.  I also covered some in rainbow sprinkles. So pretty.

Have fun and get creative with these fun frozen treats :-)

Banana Pops

Allergy-friendly Chocolate Banana Pops (Vegan)
Makes 8 banana pops

4 ripe bananas
1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate mega chunks (you can also use Enjoy Life mini chips)
2-3 tsp. Spectrum organic shortening (you can also try Spectrum organic coconut oil)
1 cup crispy brown rice cereal (or regular crispy rice cereal)
popsicle sticks or lollipop sticks

Peel and cut each banana in half crosswise and insert a popsicle stick or lollipop stick into the cut side of each half. Place on a tray, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours or until frozen.

Melt the chocolate and shortening in a double boiler, over low to medium heat and make sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl.  Remove from heat. Place the puffed rice cereal in a shallow dish or a plate. Dip the frozen banana into the chocolate coating, turning it to coat (you can use a spoon to help you coat more evenly) and immediately roll in the crispy brown rice cereal. Place on a tray covered in waxed paper. Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap or waxed paper and freeze for up to 2 weeks.

Please note: I am not a paid endorser nor did I accept any free samples of the brands or products mentioned in this post.  I purchased these items myself and wanted to mention them by name because I used them and genuinely liked time :-) 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just found your blog as I searched Lego cakes online to make for my son's birthday. I love your blog! My sons have multiple food allergies too and I am so excited to use some of your great recipes for my sweet boys! Thank you for your time and effort! Kim

Joan said...

delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really do look wonderful. My family would devour them. This is my first visit to your site, so I've taken some extra time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Catherine said...

these sound fantastic and i plan on making them for my son (allergic to peanuts and eggs).

also, thank you so much for sharing your dessert recipes on your blog. it is such a great resource for parents dealing with allergenic kids.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...