Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tutorial: Wedding Monogram

Wedding monogram tutorial

I was asked about this monogram that I made for my cousin's wedding cake, so I thought I'd do a step-by-step tutorial on how to make it.

Here are the materials you'll need to make this wedding monogram:

- fondant rolling pin
- plaque cutter
- clear alcohol (i.e. lemon extract or vodka)
- monogram template
- gold luster dust
- paintbrush
- pizza cutter

Wedding monogram tutorial


Roll out a piece of fondant to the desired thickness and cut out the plaque using the plaque cutter.

Wedding monogram tutorial

Make a monogram template to fit inside the plaque. You can look up font types online for ideas. I chose one that I could easily copy freehand on a piece of lined paper. You can also just print a pretty font from your computer.

Wedding monogram tutorial

Roll out a piece of fondant and cut out a rectangle. Use the pizza cutter to cut thin strips of fondant.

Wedding monogram tutorial

Drape the strips of fondant over the monogram template. Allow to dry slightly before transferring onto the plaque.

Wedding monogram tutorial

Brush the backside of the letters with clear alcohol before transferring onto the plaque.

Wedding Monogram tutorial

Mix the gold luster dust and clear alcohol. Paint the letters and allow to dry before attaching the monogram onto the cake.

Wedding monogram tutorial

13 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

this is fantastic . thanks for the tutorial

Cakes By Shara said...

Beautiful!!!

TAL said...

The monogram looks great...did you design the wedding cake as well.

You have a great gift, I wish I was half as crafty as you...but I am not. That's why I leave this type of thing up to the professionals.

If you have anymore pictures of wedding cakes or the monograms you design please upload some more pics...would love to see all your work!

niagaragirl said...

Really beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial. What a lovely cake - the monogram really works on it.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

What a great tutorial! Love the design...simple and elegant!

The Pink Umbrella said...

Thanks for posting this. This is great information and you made it super user friendly!

Kageklovn said...

What a great tutorial! Love the design and colour

Mermaid Sews said...

Wow, thanks so much for the tutorial. Can't wait to try this.

Lindsay said...

OMG you actually make that look easy. I know in real life I would find a way to mess it up, though. Yours is so perfect and beautiful I bet you have had a lot of practice. I'm getting my wedding cake already made from http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/wedding_cakes_bakeries.html, but if I had a little more confidence I would try this on my own. Thanks!

Unknown said...

WOW thanks so much! My mom (MOTB) is making my wedding cake and needed a "stress free" way to do GOLD script letters for our monogram! You saved her some big time stress, many thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks!! this is awesome! so simple... yet would have never thought about it myself... thanks

Dalis

www.nataliecakes.com
http://nataliecakes.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/nataliecakes

the best handmixer said...

Do you have a tut on monogram cake topper made of fondant? I am dying to create one. TIA...

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...