Thursday, November 20, 2008

Egg-free Coconut Macaroons

Egg-free Coconut Macaroons

I made these coconut macaroons for a play date last week and they were a hit. They're nice and crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. And the best part: they are soo easy to make. Just dump everything in a bowl, mix and then bake. I have to warn you though. . . they're very addicting :-) And if you drizzle or dip them in chocolate. . .good luck trying to resist them.


Egg-free Coconut Macaroons
Adapted from Ina Garten's Coconut Macaroons.
Makes about 3 dozen
Allergy Note: contains dairy and wheat ingredients

14 oz. bag sweetened flaked coconut
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat

In a large bowl, combine flaked coconut, flour and salt. Pour in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Drop tablespoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop) onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely before removing from cookie sheet.

variations:
- drizzle or dip these macaroon in melted chocolate
- chop up 1/2 cup of dried fruits like pineapple, papaya or mangoes and add into the batter (I used jackfruit)
- if you don't have a tree nut allergy, you can top each macaroon with some chopped nuts. suggestions: almonds, pistachios or cashews

UPDATE 3/25/10: I tried pulsing the shredded coconut in the food processor first before adding it into the batter and it really improved the texture of the macaroons.

11 comments:

Anne said...

I love coconut macaroons! they look utterly delish :)

jef said...

Those look very similar to the coconut rochers I used to make at Tapenade. Ours only had desiccate coconut and egg whites but I bet you could swap the whites out for the condensed milk and still have them come out. Either way, I agree, I couldn't stop eating them.

Finla said...

We never get sweetend flaked coconut, we only get dessicated coconut and they are finer in texture.
Can i replace them with fresh coconuts.

Art of Dessert said...

Hi Happy Cook! Sweetened flaked coconut is actually a coarser type of desiccated coconut. I'm sorry I should've clarified that. So if the shredded (finer) desiccated coconut is available to you, it will work perfectly with this recipe.

selena said...

Thanks for this recipe! I made these today, and they turned out great!

Art of Dessert said...

That's awesome Selena! I'm glad you liked them.

No Eggs Please! said...

Made these today & whilst they definitely don't look as pretty as yours, they sure taste good!

Anonymous said...

I'm currently making these, and they are filling the room up with the sweetest smell. I usually buy them at the store, but I decided to make them this time. I hope they turn out o.k.. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

These can also be gluten free I cannot eat wheat or gluten so I changed the 1/2 cup flour for a gluten free mix I used Tom Sawyer and followed the recipe, they turned out great.

Anonymous said...

These came out great!!! Thanks so much for the recipe!
Ava

Anonymous said...

Really good, thanks! I melted some semisweet chocolate chips then dipped each cookie in it to cover about half he cookie.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...