Monday, October 13, 2008

One Good Chocolate Cake: Chocolate Truffle Cake

Chocolate Truffle Cake - sides


Hello, my name is Rianne and I'm a chocoholic. The last time I had chocolate was late last night. I had a slice of chocolate truffle cake...and I was happy as a clam.

Growing up, my mom would spoil us with her homemade desserts. Some were made from scratch and some came out of a box, but nevertheless they were all special because SHE made them, just for us. I used to love watching her make a chocolate cake. My brother, my sister and I would crowd the kitchen counter as soon as we heard her turn on the hand mixer. The cake usually came out of a box, Betty Crocker I think, but she made the chocolate buttercream frosting from scratch.

Ooooh, that intoxicating perfume of warm chocolate cake baking in the oven would waft through the air. How can you resist? It was torture to have to wait for the cake to cool, but my mom kept us distracted by making the chocolate buttercream frosting. The cloud of cocoa powder and powdered sugar was always fun to watch (and smell) as she poured the milk and vanilla extract into the bowl. When it was all done, we'd fight over who gets to have the beaters. Such a dilemma...three kids and two beaters. Well, someone had to wait till the cake was frosted to get the jackpot... the bowl. She'd finish off the chocolate cake with colorful confetti sprinkles. Sugar high, here we come!

Midnight snack


Now that I'm all grown up and have a child children of my own, I relish each messy moment that I spend baking in the kitchen with my son my kids. I hope that when he they grows up, he'll they'll remembering all the homemade desserts I made especially for him them. I've listed my favorite chocolate cake recipe below as well as an allergy-friendly version.

Chocolate Truffle Cake
Allergy Note: contains eggs, dairy and wheat
Makes 12-16 servings 

1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk*
1/2 cup strong coffee, cooled
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

* if you don't have buttermilk, you can substitute with 1 cup whole milk mixed with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans or lined 2 muffin pans with paper muffin cups. Beat together butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs one at a time. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Combine the buttermilk and coffee together. Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture.
Pour into the prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely before adding filling and frosting.

Chocolate Ganache Filling
Allergy Note: contains dairy

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, cut into cubes
2 Tbsp. corn syrup or honey

Place the chocolate chips in a bowl and set aside.
In a saucepan, heat the heavy cream, butter and corn syrup until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Stir constantly until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm enough to use. If it gets too firm, microwave for only a couple of seconds to soften.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting I
Allergy Note: contains dairy

1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
5 to 6 Tbsp. warm milk
Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp. butter, mix until smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool. Add in the remaining butter, vanilla extract and salt. Sift together confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder. Alternate adding the cocoa confectioner's sugar with the warm milk. Beat until smooth.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting II
Allergy Note: contains dairy

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
5 to 6 Tbsp. warm milk

Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp. butter, mix until smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool. Add in the remaining butter, vanilla extract and salt. Sift together confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder. Alternate adding the cocoa confectioner's sugar with the warm milk. Beat until smooth.

Wacky Chocolate Cake (Vegan)
Allergy Note: contains wheat 
Makes about 12 servings

This was adapted from a Wacky Cake recipe. I tried it and I thought it was pretty good for an eggless cake, but I felt it needed more chocolate flavor so I doubled the amount of cocoa powder. It's perfect for cupcakes. You can top this with an allergy-friendly chocolate frosting. I like to bring this along for my son boys whenever we go to birthday parties so that he has they have something to eat while everyone else is eating birthday cake. I just store them in an airtight container in the freezer and thaw one or two a day before.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon vinegar

In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla; into another the vinegar, and in the third the oil. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened. Combine together the vegetable oil, vanilla extract and vinegar into a bowl. Add to the dry ingredients and mix till smooth. Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan or a muffin pan lined with paper muffin cups. Bake at 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes (15-20 minutes for cupcakes), or until it springs back when touched lightly.

Allergy-Friendly Chocolate Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup Spectrum vegetable shortening (found in healthfood stores)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 to 4 Tbsp. rice milk
1/8 tsp. salt

Using an electric mixer on low speed, mix together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and vegetable shortening until combined.  Pour in vanilla extract and rice milk then gradually increase the mixing speed.  Beat until light and fluffy.

12 comments:

blueberrycheesecake said...

Wow! I love chocolates! I will try this! yummy!!!

blueberrycheesecake said...

i love chocolate cakes! i'll try this! =)

wish me luck!

Marija said...

What a cake! You are an artist!

Katie Barlow said...

your deserts are beautiful!

My Random Ramblings said...

Hi..I've always been in the pursuit of the perfect eggless chocolate cake. Yours looks wonderful! I'm sure it would be quite moist too as butter has been replaced with vegetable oil. Will make it soon and come back here for more! I read that your due date is sometime soon. Congratulations :o)

Becky said...

Just wanted to say I finally got around to trying your chocolate truffle cake recipe - Oh my gosh!! This has to be the most wonderful chocolate cake I've ever eaten!! It was amazing - LOVED the ganache filling as well! Thanks so much for sharing this! :-)

Unknown said...

My son has an egg allergy-thanks for the egg free version!

Unknown said...

My son has an egg allergy, so I am always on the hunt for egg free recipes. Thanks for posting one!

Erin said...

You are so incredible!

Worrybook said...

I'm going to make the egg-free version for my daughter's 2nd birthday soon. I'm assuming the vinegar is just regular old white vinegar??

Miranda said...

I have a batch of egg-free chocolate cupcakes cooling on the counter as we speak. The one really hot one that I just scarfed down was delicious! My son has an egg allergy, so I'm always trying to make sure he doesn't feel left out at parties or gatherings. I did want to point out, however, that the ingredients and directions don't match. There's no milk in the ingredients, but you mention milk in the directions. I ended up just making it with the ingredients as listed (since I was halfway through making it before I noticed the discrepancy) and they seem to be OK, but I'm not sure what was intended.

Dylan Solesbee said...

Awesome! This is the most detailed chocolate cake I've ever seen my entire life! This just proves that food doesn't just need to be tasty, it also needs to look tasty and pretty. If I bought one like this for my sister, I bet she would keep it for 2 days before eating it. She adores well-decorated pastries. And she always takes pictures for memorabilia.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...